A few of you asked for photos of some of our new educational nooks. I’ll post them as they are finished, and as work is very slooooow at the moment it will probably amount to a post every few months! Anyway, here is the science nook, almost finished:
- Here Gary is attaching the shelves he made. These will hold all of our science equipment. My goal with this is that the children will be able to see what we have and therefore use it more often.
- Gary also made some book shelves to go either side of the fireplace. These will hold all our science books.
- He stained these with a lovely dark oak stain.
- In the fire-place we are keeping all our science supplies in storage boxes
- Whilst Gary was at work I painted the wall a lovely green and stained his shelves in the same oak stain as he had used on the book cases
- I hung some curtains I had hand-made a few years ago. They are an oatmeal with a cute green leaf motive
- And here they are close up
- The shelves have now been filled with all their science bits and pieces
The final photo show it almost completed. We still need to add the science table, which will basically be a work surface screwed into the mantle and a second shelf underneath to store discovery trays for the little ones. This will be done right at the end when we put up all the work surfaces around the room as personal offices for everyone. Already the children are naturally turning to their science nook and using equipment I think they had forgotten they owned!