Hi, I am C13, Claire’s younger twin. As you may have guessed from previous posts I am a vivacious and fun loving teenager.☺ I am passionate about music, reading, writing and religious studies. I therefore intend to focus on these passions whilst learning about Africa.
Africa: Religion, Myth and Music
- Learning to play the bongos: I love music so when Mummy mentioned learning the bongos I jumped at the chance. I am lucky, Daddy knows how to play, meaning I will be able to ask assistance in the case of an emergency! Also I have found a few free lessons on the web and maybe if I ask very nicely Mummy might buy me the rest of the course which is not free……Mummy? Daddy?
- Rewriting the story of Anassi the Spider as a play: I love writing and have a small amount of experience in play writing when I rewrote a scene from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer’s Night Dream over the summer. I will be using this play writing course to help me.
- Producing the above play as my final project: I will be using African music, African clothing and African jewellery (which L13 will provide). I will also be roping in my siblings to help! Again I will be using elements of this course to guide me.
- Researching Ancient African myths: This is an extra I will do if I have time. It is something I personally wanted to do. After researching them I will be comparing them with stories from the Bible. I recently did a comparison with the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh and I enjoyed it so much I thought I might do something similar with African mythology. Mummy is not requiring this though, and if I don’t have time it will be left undone!
At the end of my time working I will be putting on a presentation and the aforementioned play. I am hoping that the play will give the spectators a peek into traditional African culture.
The actual presentation will be focused on the music of Africa, in particular African Bongo Music, and if I have had the time I will also present my findings on African mythology compared to the Bible.
My Personal Goals for this African Project
Through my studies I hope to achieve:
- A better understanding of African religion.
- An understanding of African literature.
- An ability to play an instrument – the Bongos.
- Experience with writing, producing and acting in a play.
I hope you will follow along with my project and enjoy all I share.